Namaqualand flower show continues
28 August 2006
The amazing spring flower show, that started in mid-winter this year, seems set to continue into the traditional spring period. Very good rains earlier this year have continued and it may lead to one of the longest and best showings of the flowers in many years.
Further good weather permitting, this year’s flower season could go into October. So if you havnt yet experienced the incredible riot of colour and staggering variety of plants that this year’s wild flower show is offering you still have a bit more time to see, first-hand, one of the best seasons ever.
The following is a list of contacts from the Namaqualand Flower Campaign:
NAMAQUALAND FLOWER CAMPAIGN, KAMIESBERG
- Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre: Display depicting the biodiversity of the Succulent Karoo biome, the world’s only arid biodiversity hotspot. Namaqualand Wild Flower Guide, 3rd rev. ed. on sale. Contact Annalise Le Roux, 0824846993.
- Namaqualand Photographic Workshops, 6-12 August, 13-19 August, 3-9 September, 10-16 September 2006: Kamieskroon Hotel, Contact Maryna Kohrs, 027-6721614.
- !Kimmie Proe: Traditional meals on request; Contact Verentia Benade, 027-6721772.
- Kookskerm, Succulent Karoo Knowledge Centre, 1 September 2006: To celebrate spring and local Kamiesberg Kuisine in the “Spys en Drank” cooking shelter. Contact Verentia Benade, 027-6721772.
- Oupa Fanie se Winkel: Traditional meals over week-ends, eg “afval”, bredies, etc. Display of old-world general dealer interior. Contact Chris and Una Thiart, 0836488514.
- Kuiervreugde Koffie Shoppe: For special Kuiervreugde breakfasts from 8:30. Contact Peet & Elsa Kruger, 0721418980 / 027-6721904.
- Pannekoekpaleis: For fresh pancakes and coffee on your way to Namaqua National Park, while enjoying a rare view of a flowing river.
- Flower Guiding: Contact Lita Cole, registered SATOUR guide, hike or drive, Tel. 027-6721762.
- Speciality Tours and Guiding: (Cultural, 4x4, mountain bike) Contact Piet Van Heerde, 027-7123650, 0732295014.
- Namaqua National Park: Open throughout the year, Conservation fee during flower season, August-September, R15,00 pp, Short hiking trails, Circular route, Road open through park towards Soebatsfontein, Picnic and Ablution facilities, Neighbouring farm stall. Contact: Elizna Van Lente, 027-6721948.
- Self Drive Circular Routes: Contact Emmerentia De Kock for more info, 027-6721843.
- Kamieskroon Church Hall: Local produce and craft; Display of cultural history articles from the Kamiesberg farming community. Contact Mariaan Archer, 027-6721666.
- Pedroskoof: Hiking trails, Mountain bike & 4x4 Pedroskloof Mountain Route, Bird watching at dam. Contact Mariaan Archer: 027-6721666.
- Cosy Mountain: Hiking trail and 4x4 route in typical Namaqualand “klipkoppe”; Day trips to Namaqua National Park; Contact Estelle Ella, 027-6721113.
- No Heep: 4x4 route and hiking trail; Peace and tranquility. Contact Verencia Benadè, 027-6721772.
- Komrie Farm Stay: Special offer on dinner/bed/breakfast and lunch parcels. Contact Marietjie Hanekom, 027-6721832.
- Toeristestal: Only open in Flower season, August-September, Tel 027-6521220.
- Kookskerm, Sport grounds: In celebration of the flower campaign, traditional food and craft stalls. Contact Serena Cloete, 0840808636.
- Flower Report: Go to http://www.hondeklip.co.za/">www.hondeklip.co.za. Contact: Elize Hough, 027-6923041.
- Tea Garden , Honnehokke: Enjoy local Namaqualand west coast fish and chips from 11:00 – 15:00. Contact Elize Hough, 027-6923041.
- Flower Season: Normally from October. For special cultural acivities and hiking to Rooiberg, highest mountain peak in Northern Cape. Contact Vera Engelbrecht, 027-6721972.
- Special Guiding: Contact Mariaan Lot, 027-5411546.
- Boesmans Uitkyk Nature Trails: experience Soebatsfontein’s vygieveld: Contact Theolene Dirkse, 027-6721143.
- Blommefees, Church hall, 2 September 2006: Vetkoek, roosterkoek, curry buns, skuinskoek and much much more. “Flenterkonsert” in the evening in Church hall. Contact Mrs Els Steenkamp, 027-6721284.
- Special Guiding: Donkey cart trips. Contact Barney Links, Tel 027-6823312.